18:08
0

Present perfect

When we talk about something that happened in the past, but we don't specify precisely when it happened (perhaps we don't know, or it is not important to say when it happened), we use the present perfect (but see E below):
• A French yachtsman has broken the record for sailing round the world single-handed.
• I have complained about the traffic before.
When we use the present perfect, it suggests some kind of connection between what happened in the past, and the present time. Often we are interested in the way that something that happened in the past affects the situation that exists now:
• I've washed my hands so that I can help you with the cooking.
• We can't go ahead with the meeting, because very few people have shown any interest.
The connection with the present may also be that something happened recently, with a consequence for the present:
• I've found the letter you were looking for. Here it is.
• My ceiling has fallen in and the kitchen is flooded. Come quickly!
When we talk about how long an existing situation has lasted, even if we don't give a precise length of time, we use the present perfect (but see F below):
• They've grown such a lot since we last saw them.
• Prices have fallen sharply over the past six months.
• We've recently started to walk to work instead of taking the bus.
We often use the present perfect to say that an action or event has been repeated a number of
times up to now (see also Unit 4B):
• They've been to Chile three times.
• I've often wished I'd learned to read music.

Past simple

When we want to indicate that something happened at a specific time in the past, we use the past simple. We can either say when it happened, using a time adverb, or assume that the hearer already knows when it happened or can understand this from the context:
• She arrived at Kennedy Airport at 2 o'clock this morning.
• Jane left just a few minutes ago.
• Jim decided to continue the course, even though it was proving very difficult.
We use the past simple for situations that existed for a period of time in the past, but not now:
• When I was younger I played badminton for my local team.
• The Pharaohs ruled Egypt for thousands of years.
If we are interested in when a present situation began rather than how long it has been going on for, we use the past simple. Compare:
• I started to get the pains three weeks ago. 
• I've had the pains for three weeks now.
• When did you arrive in Britain? 
• How long have you been in Britain?
However, we also use the past simple to talk about how long something went on for if the action or event is no longer going on (see also Unit 4C):
• I stayed with my grandparents for six months. (= I am no longer staying there)
• 'He spent some time in Paris when he was younger.' 'How long did he live there?'
We use the present perfect when we talk about something that happened in a period of time up to the present. We use the past simple to talk about something that happened at a particular, finished time in the past. Compare:
• Science has made many major advances this century, and
• Scientists made some fundamental discoveries in the 18th century.
• He puts to good use things that other people have thrown away, and
• I threw away most of my old books when I moved house.
When we report that someone has recently invented, produced, discovered or written something we use the present perfect. When we talk about something that was invented, etc. in the more distant past we use the past simple. Compare:
• Scientist have discovered that, all over the world, millions of frogs and toads are dying.
• It is often said that Hernan Cortes 'discovered' Mexico in 1519.
• Two schoolchildren have invented a device for moving large objects up flights of stairs.
• Chinese craftsmen invented both paper and printing.
Sometimes it makes very little difference to the main sense of the sentence if we think of something happening in a period of time up to the present or at a particular, finished time in the past:
• The research is now complete and the experiment was {or has been) a success.
• Does it concern you that you failed {or have failed) the test?
• I'm sure I read {or I have read) somewhere that he died in a plane crash.
We can use either the present perfect or the past simple to talk about repeated actions or events. If we use the present perfect, we often suggest that the action or event might happen again.
Sometimes we emphasise this with phrases such as so far and up to now (see Unit 5). If we use the past simple, it suggests that it is finished and won't happen again. Compare:
• Timson has made 13 films and I think her latest is the best.
• Timson made 13 films before she was tragically killed in a car accident.
• Lee has represented his country on many occasions, and hopes to go on to compete in the next Olympics.
• Lee represented his country on many occasions, but was forced to retire after an injury.
We can use both the present perfect and the past simple to talk about states. We use the present
perfect to talk about a state that existed in the past and still exists now, and we use the past simple if the state no longer exists. Compare:
• I have known him most of my working life. (I am still working) and
• I knew him when we were both working in Rome.
• We have belonged to the tennis club since we moved here. (We still belong to it.) and
• We belonged to the tennis club in the village we used to live in.
Some time adverbs that connect the past to the present are often used with the present perfect:
• Don't disturb Amy. She's just gone to sleep, (not ...she just went to sleep.)
• Have you seen Robert lately} (not Did you see...)
Other time adverbs like this include already, since (last week), so far, still, up to now, yet. When we use time adverbs that talk about finished periods of time we use the past simple rather than the present perfect:
• Marie died, at the age of 86, in 1964. (not Marie has died...)
Other time adverbs like this include (a month) ago, at (3 o'clock), last (week, month), on (Monday), once (= at some time in the past), then, yesterday.
Time adverbs that refer to the present, such as today, this morning/week/month, can also be used with either the present perfect or past simple. If we see today etc. as a past, completed period of time, then we use the past simple; if we see today, etc. as a period including the present moment, then we use the present perfect. Compare:
• I didn't shave today (= the usual time has passed; suggests I will not shave today) and
• I haven't shaved today. (= today is not finished; I may shave later or may not)
• I wrote three letters this morning. (= the morning is over) and
• I've written three letters this morning. (= it is still morning)
We use since to talk about a period that started at some point in the past and continues until the present time. This is why we often use since with the present perfect:
• Since 1990 I have lived in a small house near the coast.
• Tom has been ill since Christmas.
In a sentence which includes a smce-clause, the usual pattern is for the smce-clause to contain a past simple, and the main clause to contain a present perfect:
• Since Mr Hassan became president, both taxes and unemployment have increased.
• I haven't been able to play tennis since I broke my arm.
However, we can use a present perfect in the swce-clause if the two situations described in the main and s/nce-clause extend until the present:
• Since I've lived here, I haven't seen my neighbours.
We use the present perfect with ever and never to emphasise that we are talking about the whole of a period of time up until the present:
• It's one of the most magnificent views I have ever seen. (= in my whole life)
• I've never had any problems with my car. (= at any time since I bought it)
We use the past simple with ever and never to talk about a completed period in the past:
• When he was young, he never bothered too much about his appearance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment