08:15
0

We use the present simple when we talk about future events that are part of some OFFICIAL ARRANGEMENT such as a timetable or programme:
• Their plane arrives at 2 o'clock in the morning.
• The next meeting of the committee is on November 5th.
• We get off the train in Bristol and continue by bus.
• I'm away on holiday next week. Can we meet the week after?
We often use will + infinitive in sentences like these with little difference in meaning, although the present simple suggests that the arrangement is fixed and definite.
We don't use the present simple when we talk about PERSONAL PLANS or PREDICTIONS. Instead we use will, going to, or the present continuous:
• I'm really exhausted. I'm just staying in to watch TV tonight, (not ...I just stay in...)
• Although it is a problem only in Britain at the moment, I think it will affect the rest of Europe soon, (not ...I think it affects the rest...)
However, we prefer the present simple if we can make a definite, specific prediction because an activity or event is part of an official arrangement such as a timetable or programme:
• There is a full moon tonight.
• The sun rises at 5.16 tomorrow.
We use the present simple to refer to the future, not will, in adverbial clauses introduced by time conjunctions such as after, before, when, and until:
• After you go another 50 metres, you'll see a path to your left.
• When you see Dennis, tell him he still owes me some money.
• Wait here until I call you.
and in conditional clauses with if, unless, in case, and provided:
• Let me know if he says anything interesting.
• Provided the right software is available, I should be able to solve the problem.
• I'll bring a compass in case we get lost.
We use the present simple in that- and wh-clauses when both the main clause and the that- /wbclause
refer to the future. We don't use will in the that- and wh-clause in this kind of sentence:

main clause                                                      

----------

I'm going to make sure I'll let you know                      
_________________________________________________________________________________

that- and wh-clause

--------------------
(that) you are invited next time, (not ...you will be     invited...) when she gets here, (not ...when she will get here.)
_________________________________________________________________________________


When the main clause refers to the present, we normally use will, not the present simple, in the that- and wh-clausee. However, if we are talking about a fixed arrangement we can use either will or the present simple. Compare:
• I guarantee that you'll enjoy the play, (not ...you enjoy...)
• It is fortunate that they arrive at the same time tomorrow, (or ...they will arrive...)


0 comments:

Post a Comment